National Park Service
Arlington County, VA
W.M. Schlosser was awarded this project in April 2018 to rehabilitate the Arlington House also referred to as “The Robert E. Lee Memorial” and to improve the surrounding 16.4 acres of parkland which includes a comfort station, museum, historic slave quarters and a mechanical plant facility. The property overlooks the nation’s capital from a hill within Arlington National Cemetery.
The site work includes new storm systems for the entire site, upgraded water service, site lighting, site concrete (flat work, stairs and C&G), landscaping, railings, bluestone paving, fencing, bonded aggregate paving, signage, bookstore addition, wood pergola, fencing and site furnishings.
The historic restoration of the buildings includes restoring/repairing existing interior plaster and exterior stucco, lead paint remediation, door & hardware restoration, chimney reconstruction, restoring 16 fire places, refinishing/ replacement of wood floors, wood trim, masonry restoration, new copper gutters & downspouts, window & hardware restoration, floor pavers, interior painting, exterior painting including the faux painting of the building front elevations and columns to make the stucco finish resemble stone.
The modern upgrades to the facility include, display lighting, fire sprinkler systems, HVAC improvements, new boiler, glass floor systems for displays, entry ramps, glass partitions and upgraded security systems. All work to be integrated into the historic fabric of the buildings to blend in with what was completed in 1813.