Project Owner: Hampton Roads Transit 3400 Victoria Blvd. Hampton, VA 23661
Project Location: Norfolk, VA
Contract Amount: $11,323,738
Project Description: This project involved the construction of a Vehicle Storage and Maintenance Facility for the Hampton Roads Transit Authority. Due to major changes in the facade, the project became a Design-Build project, with our firm working closely with the Engineers and HRT to accommodate the work in a timely manner.
The 30,000 SF building housed the following equipment:
• Automatic Drive Thru Vehicle Wash Systems
• Overhead Cranes
• Monorail Hoists
• Electric Lifting Jack Equipment with Controls
• Shop Equipment
• Service Lifts
• Multi-Purpose On Track Vehicle
The site work was extensive and included the following: removal of existing pavement; new building water, sewer, electric and communication services; exterior lighting for yard tracks, building, parking lot, access roads and walks; construction of asphalt cart paths and switch pads between yard storage tracks and asphalt grade crossings new paved parking lots; construction of concrete barriers.
Some architectural features included:
• Electric-powered coiling overhead doors
• Extensive cast-in-place concrete, including pits, flowable fill, gravity walls, concrete barriers
• Structural steel, joist, deck, stairs, floor gratings, mezzanine guardrails, steel mesh screens and partitions
• Painting and special epoxy flooring systems
Mechanical components included refrigerant piping, instrumentation and controls, power ventilators, infrared electric radiant heaters, testing and balancing, and extensive underslab piping. The electrical work was extensive and included a large underground ductbank, transformers, lightning protection, interior and exterior lighting, digital and addressable fire alarm. The large communication system included interior and exterior telephone conduits and an interior intercom/PA/paging system and phones.